Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mother Daughter Book Club


One thing I missed being in New York, 
was Mother/Daughter Book Club. 

So I was more than happy to host 
for this month's selection of:

Traditionally, whoever has the meeting
makes a dinner to go along with the book,
and since this one was set in lower Mississippi
I went with a Southern theme...

And when I say "went with",
I mean that I called up Stanley's
and ordered some serious yum :)

Cornbread, biscuits, Southern fried chicken salad, veggie salad

Mashed potatoes, mac&cheese, corn, cheese grits, cole slaw

Chicken fried chicken with gravy and plain old fried chicken...

Repeat: YUMMM!


I'd forgotten though that these dinners always start on task -- some people like the book, some people loathe it -- and the conversation spirals from there. Problem being with this bunch, the "on task" part usually lasts about 5 minutes, before the A.D.D kicks in and our mom's begin asking questions such as,
"What is flip cup?" and "How do we learn?"

So we taught the martians a few tricks...
and now they're ready for college again ;)
SUCCESS!

My favorite part though, was when the yoga ball in my corner was discovered (along with all the other bullshit contraptions I bought at TJ Max in feeble hopes to get in shape for Spring) 
and everyone gave 'em a go...
UN-SUCCESS

It was a small group last night; more than half couldn't make it. 
But after the mom's left, I sat around with the "daughters" and we agreed that, although we can all be hard on our moms at times,
I can only hope I still have this much fun with my friends
"when I grow up" :)
 

    

2 comments:

Lizzard said...

I'm so sorry I missed it! Sad, sad, sad! Looks like everyone had a blast! How was the book??

Anonymous said...

Love this post too.