Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy 100th Postday!!

 
This "Jack of Many, Master of None"

has actually stuck with something!!

And as a result,
today my bloggidy-blog-blog is 100 posts old :)


Hip Hip Hoooooooray!!

But what does one write about on such a momentous occasion?

I thought about this last night
and then immediately shut my computer off.


The thing is, you can't think about these things. They have come. And they always do!

That's what I've loved most about blogging ... it's never forced. Just thoughts out loud. Impulsive. Scheduleless. Spontaneous. Random. Thoughts. And pictures. Gotta love the pictures. All brought about by the things in life that just happen to happen :)

So, I've decided to write this entry about the first thought that came to mind last night when I started over thinking.

First thought: "I am totally still scarred from that damn '100' project in the 1st grade."
Second thought: "I hope that I live to be 100"

So, today I'd like to share the ever-so-scarring story
from Mrs. Kirch's first grade classroom ...


I was all of seven years old.
I wore a lot of hand-me-down clothes.
And I loved anything that was loved by my older siblings.
Whatever Jamie and Stephen said, I did.

So when Mrs. Kirch gave us the homework assignment to bring in "100 of the same thing" -
I immediately turned to the dynamic duo for advice.


At the time,
Stephen was 10, and at the peak of his smart ass phase.
Jamie was 13, and as always, was using my parent's landline.

So when I asked my wiser older brother what he thought I should bring for my "100 project", he replied
"boogers!"
(obviously)

And for weeks, I picked my poor little nose.
And then I returned to class, ever-so-proud,
of my bacteria based collection.

And I will NEVER forget that (once) short walk from my designated coat hook, to my designated desk.

Erin Estey had perfectly glued 100 pennies to a poster board.
Juan Romo made a tree house out of 100 twigs.
Jenny Mathison-Moore made a snow man out of 100 cotton balls.
Chris Connell built a replica of the Sears Tower with 100 legos.
Brooke Bicknell baked 100 sugar cookies
(she had a stay home mom)

Lacey Lofton made a mosaic from 100 pieces of colored glass
(she was an only child)


And then there was me ...
With my g*d damn 8.5 x 11 sheet of loose leaf paper,
covered in 100 hand picked boogers.


I wanted to die.
No, I was past death.
At that very moment in life, I would have rather dropped my lunch tray in the cafeteria WITH my pants down.
Yep, it was that bad.

I'll never forget folding that white sheet of paper into a million little pieces and ever-so-meekishly telling Mrs. Kirch that
"I'd forgotten mine at home."
(Note: this was
VERY unlike me. I lived for homework!
I lived for shit like this!
)

And I was respectful in praising everyone else's projects.
And I ate Brooke Bicknell's (stuupid f*&%king) sugar cookie.
And I complimented Juan Romo's tree house (even though I thought he smelled and that his twig idea was tooootally lame).

(Funny how twenty years later
this still stays with me like it was yesterday)


So, the point of the story is this:
If I were to be given the same assignment from Mrs. Kirch today,
I would bring in my blog :)


I'd bring these 100 posts,
and I would tell Lacey Lofton to shove her stained glass window up her ass!


And I'd tell Erin Estey that she should have just brought in a dollar
and saved herself the glue-job on the 100 pennies.


And then I'd probably drop my tray in the cafeteria
(with my pants down)
just because it's funny!

BECAUSE LIFE IS INCREDIBLY FUNNY ...
We all just need to take a little more time to laugh about it :)

So cheers!
Cheers to smart ass big brothers!
Cheers to 100 hand picked boogers!
And cheers to 100 more blog posts
  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Cheers to smart ass big brothers!"...RIGHT ON!!!