Sunday, May 11, 2008

Ya Learn Something New Everyday!

Coming back from New Jersey Sunday night, we pulled up to the gas station ... and no one moved an inch.

Delirious from weekend, I was admittedly on a good one-minute-mind-delay. But then, after two minutes, I was kinda like, "Uhhhh, guys? I fear the gas isn't going to up and pump itself."

And then, outta no where, I heard the tank beginning to fill!!

I thought to myself:

WTF?!?! None of us have any money ... why the hell are we paying the full-service price?? Isn't gas expensive enough now a days?!?!
Are we in a bad neighborhood now? I could swear I just saw a Banana Republic! Should I lock the doors?!?

And then the voice of reason said, "Relax, Stace! It's illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey"

WHAT?!?!
This is hysterical :)

Well, Hello there Mister Gas Pumping Man!!

I wanted to say, "I have no clue why you pumping our gas for free and not making me get out of the car, but thank you!!" And I wanted to tell him that if I owned a car myself, I would definitely move to Jers!
(But don't worry, I refrained)

So, for anyone else out there who was a virgin to this little known piece of awesomeness, here's the scoop behind this entirely outdated law:

The "Garden State" is one of two states where it's illegal to fill 'er up yourself. Only gas station owners or employees can pump gas in New Jersey AND Oregon. NJ passed the law making it illegal to pump your own gas in 1949. At the time, legislators felt it was too dangerous to have untrained people dispensing such a flammable liquid. Today, proponents of this law argue that it creates jobs and customers like full service (... namely, Stacey Hall! hahaha)

No comments: