Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Creative Minds

  
Today in class I put the kids into writing teams because the lesson was about TV scripts and how every major motion picture, cartoon, sitcom, and theatrical performance, each first began with a team of hardworking authors and artists.

It's somewhat commonplace knowledge for us adults to recognize but not so much for an 8-12 year old. I loved every minute of witnessing that little "ah-ha!" moment when they visibly came to realize that behind every great actor, is an even better writer :)
       
We did a table reading wrap-around of their word-magnet exercises and it took everything in me not to overly praise Yaritza after she shared hers (...playing favorites is a major teacher taboo...) so I made a point to tell her mom after so to encourage them both to support the great talent she's got. 
             
I wanted to physically devour each of these sentences she made from scratch:
  
At the end of class I asked the kids why they thought we did this writing exercise.

Angelo raised his hand and said, "Because we each got to pick a handful of those magnet word things and make up our own stories from them and that like showed how we each think different. Like, that thing you said early, about a point of view."

The "answer" I was looking/going for was that creative inspiration can come from anything, but this -- WOW -- this was so much better. 
   
Secretly, within my oh-so-happy heart, 
  
:)
   

No comments: