Wednesday, July 13, 2011

One of "those" weeks...


My Grams recently fell sick and it's the first time I've ever directly witnessed the painful process of losing a loved one :(
Our family will all be by her side again this afternoon to continue to love and support her in these final moments -- moments we each feel so blessed to have the luxury to spend together. 

I know she would not want me to be sad or cry on her behalf, so I've been doing everything possible to stay strong in her presence. After which, I immediately bolt to Dairy Queen to sob my face off while eating a Blizzard...
I'm going on day six and the poor peeps at the DQ surely think I'm postal, but they've been very kind to serve me without question. Thank God for ice cream!

Last night we were too late to indulge in this cold comfort so I dipped into my stash of astronaut ice cream from a recent visit to the Museum of Science and Industry

Not gonna lie, I'm sure this dry-freezed awesomeness tastes like a dream while floating a gazillion miles up in space, but after an emotional evening with two feet on the ground, 
I sure felt like this: 

Sarcasm aside, if you could please keep my Grandma Stella in your thoughts this week as she moves on to a better place, 
I'd be forever grateful :)
     

4 comments:

Megan Murray Elsener said...

Dairy Queen can do wonders. Love you lots.

Sara Robinson said...

Let me know if you ever need a Dairy Queen buddy, I'm at the one in Wilmette all the time!

Kate said...

"A Parable of Immortality"
by Henry van Dyke.

I am standing by the seashore.
A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze
and starts for the blue ocean.
She is an object of beauty and strength,
and I stand and watch
until at last she hangs like a speck of white cloud
just where the sun and sky come down to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says, 'There she goes!
Gone where? Gone from my sight - that is all.

She is just as large in mast and hull and spar
as she was when she left my side
and just as able to bear her load of living freight
to the places of destination.
Her diminished size is in me, not in her.

And just at the moment when someone at my side says,
'There she goes! ' ,
there are other eyes watching her coming,
and their voices ready to take up the glad shout :
'Here she comes!'

hugs!

Anonymous said...

Love you Stace!! xoxox