Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Thoughts on "Check-In Check-Out"


Tonight at dinner I couldn't help but to overhear the table of girls next to us as one proudly exclaimed to her friends, "I'm officially the Mayor of Southport Grocer! I've checked-in over 200 times!" 

After I puked in my mouth a little, 
I secretly thought to myself for a moment about how sad our obsession with technology has become
(me, very much included in the aforementioned "our")

An "app" is no longer a starter before lunch or dinner, but 
merely a $.99 download to one of our various smartphones. 

And when we say that we've "talked" to someone, that could very well just mean that we've connected via text or email -- 
never actually communicating live or by phone call. 

Foursquare and Facebook have redefined what it is to "check-in".
And after dinner, when the kind cashier asked me if I was ready to "check-out" as the convenient store was closing, I got to thinking about all the above while hoofing it home. 

There was once a time when "check-in" and "check-out" were moves I'd only ever used on the soccer field. As a left wing, my role as a forward was ultimately to score goals. So when the midfielder went to throw in the ball, my mission was to quickly "check-in" so not to be off-sides, and immediately once the ball was in play, to even more quickly "check-out" so to beat the defender, break away with the ball, and help win games for the team. 

But life changes. And we grow up. And we learn sooner than later, that with time this too shall pass. And we check-in and out of relationships, schools, jobs, hobbies, flights, hotel rooms, the list goes on. But I gotta admit, for a fleeting moment on the walk back to my apartment tonight, I oh-so-vividly remembered the feeling of not having all these adult experiences, and how simple my life once was when soccer was practically my religion, which in turn, made Mia Hamm my God ;) 

When I was eleven years old, I used to have this Nike ad framed next to my bed. I had the poem memorized by heart and recited it to myself before every soccer game I ever played thereafter...
Dancer
by Mia Hamm

When you were a child your mother thought,
As mothers sometimes do,
That you were strong enough
And sure enough
To someday be a dancer.

But when you were five
Or was it six or was it nine
You didn't want to dance,
You couldn't bear to dance
Unless you were dancing in the grass,
And dancing in the mud
As children often do
As children often do.

And then your father kicked you a ball.
And the ball was the shape of the whole wide world to you. And now if you see green you can only think of one thing to do. And the world slips away from your feet. 
And the sky slips down into your arms.

And you are free you are free 
you are absolutely free
To be who you want.
To go where you can.

To be wild 
to be loud 
to fly in the mud 
and run in the rain.
Strong enough 
Sure enough 
Like a dancer.

I haven't thought about Mia Hamm in ages
But it was a pretty awesome feeling tonight
to recall the days when I absolutely worshiped her
and every single blade of grass
she kicked ass on :) 
    

5 comments:

soccer_in_wa said...

I had this poem from a magazine when I was young too. I wasn't a huge Mia Hamm fan but the poem was so close to my soccer experience. In my last move its been lost, I'm glad to be able to find it here...Thanks :)

Morgan said...

I was looking for poem today and found your blog. I too had this poem by my bed and actually sent it to Mia to have it signed. I carried it to every college soccer game. I'm still an athlete can't remember a time I was new happy. Thanks for the great childhood reminder.

Unknown said...

I too had that cut out of maybe a Sports illustrated mag. I lost it long ago. I kept it hanging in my area at work. I did one more Google search because I was just thinking about it again. So happy I finally found it again. Thanks so much!

. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I can't believe I found this again. I had this advertisement ripped out of a magazine and taped to my wall and reading daily in high school and part of college when I played. I now teach PE and coach. I have often thought this would be so cool to hang in my classroom and locker room. I hope I can blow it up. Thank you for posting this