Friday, August 6, 2010

My Very 1st UCB Sketch Piece!


NOT SO “TEENY”

STACEY HALL

INT: TEA HOUSE, LOWER EAST SIDE, NEW YORK / NIGHT
Restaurant logo, “TEANY”, is present in backdrop

REX, a rather fit, good looking, single 30 something (who still has a major chubby complex from high school) sits uncomfortably, waiting for his Match.com date.
HARMONY, a thin, vegan, ditsy college student.
SAM, a very lean, handsome server.


HARMONY
Thank you for meeting me here, it’s
totally like my most favorite spot.

REX
Happy to! Always nice trying new
places and meeting new people.
(Reaches in pocket to pull out his note cards)
I must admit, Harmony. You are more
beautiful then I ever imagined.

HARMONY
Umm, thaaaaaaaanks. You look real
nice in your suit, did you like,
come straight from a meeting?

REX
You mean like from a Weight
Watchers meeting? BECAUSE I DIDN’T!

HARMONY
No, no I meant like from a WORK meeting.

(Harmony eagerly flags the server.
Sam enters scene)

SAM
Hello and welcome to Teany --

REX
Let me guess, where you only serve
skinny teeny people?

(Rex laughs at his own joke,
causing him to breath heavily)

SAM
Well, often times they are.
(Sam winks flirtatiously at Harmony)
But mainly it’s because we are TEA
House. In New York. May I take the
order of this lovely lady first?

HARMONY
(Blushing)
Yes, thank you. I’ll have the organic
chick pea and heart of palm lettuce wrap.

REX
And I guess I’ll go with two scoops
of the Chicken Salad Salad.
Woopsydaise, looks like there’s a
teeny typo on the menu!

SAM
No, it is in fact called the
Chicken Salad - Salad.
Would you like anything else?
Possibly a starter to share?

HARMONY
Or maybe we could each get our own appetizer --

REX
Oh, so you don’t want to share with
me because you think I’ll eat all the food?
BECAUSE I
WON’T!

SAM
Ooooo-k, I’ll just get the entrees started
and let you two decide.

(Sam takes the menus and walks to the kitchen)
(Rex begins sweating from his forehead)

REX
I’m sorry about that.
Please let me start over --
(Now reading from the note cards he has prepared)
Harmony, let me start off by
complimenting how cute you are.
You’re so petite you could hide
behind a lamp post and I wouldn’t
even find you. You’re legs are so
thin that I could break one off
and use it as a toothpick --

HARMONY
Uhh, thank you? You know, we could
just talk, and like have a real convo ...

REX
Alrighty then. Let me start by asking
one of the first questions on my list.
So Harmony, where are you from?

HARMONY
Uhhh, I’m from Woodstock. Up state.
How about you? Do you like, come from a big family?

REX
I’m from Nebraska. And yes, I guess
you could say my family is large,
we’re all overweight. BUT I’M
WORKING ON IT!

(Sam enters and delivers their food)
(Rex now sweating profusely. He's choked up)
(Harmony hands him her napkin)

REX (CONT’D)
FIRST YOU BRING ME TO THIS TEENY
PERSON RESTAURANT AND THEN YOU JUST
ASSUME MY WHOLE FAMILY IS FAT!

HARMONY
Oh my God, I totally didn’t mean it like that. I meant like, do you have a lot of siblings? That kind of “big” family. Ummm, maybe we should like, get you a drink. On the rocks ...

REX
Yes, I’ll have a Coke, with extra ice.

SAM
We don’t serve Coke, sir. Only TEA.

REX
Well apparently you don’t serve
Chicken Salad - SALAD either!!
(Rex moves the food around with his fork)
What the HELL is this?
Where the hell is the
CHICKEN?!

SAM
It’s a blended mixed nut goulash,
sir. We are a VEGAN tea house.
Harmony is our best customer.
I’m
sorry she did not explain
that there is no meat here.

(Rex breaks out into hives)

REX
But I put on my profile page that I
have a PEANUT ALLERGY!
Why did you make me come here?
I could be at the gym right now.
Why did you even agree to meet me at all?!

HARMONY
Well, like, my meal plan ran out at
school. So I online date for free dinners.
I’m so sorry for not remembering
about your nut allergy. Hurry, Sam,
bring him the Bamboo elixir!

(Sam signals to the kitchen.
A man dressed in a Panda costume
begins giving Rex the heimlich)

REX
What the HELL is going on here?

SAM
Don’t worry, sir.
We are an ENDANGERED SPECIES SPONSORED
vegan tea house. You’re in good hands.

REX
I’m outt here!

(Rex bolts to the exit, and turns sideways
to get through the
front door,
as if he is too fat to fit forwards)

SAM
(Giving Harmony a disappointed look)
You really have to stop bringing in
the ones that freak out over the Panda costume.

HARMONY
Yeah, you’re right.
See ya tomorrow!

No comments: