Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Letter to the “No” York Senators :(


This morning I mailed 38 letters such as this -- one to each New York Senator who voted "no" to marriage equality yesterday. Although I've tried to avoid using my blog as a soap box, I hope by sharing this post it may help inspire change in a time when needed most.

To find the contact information for your local leaders, please visit:
freedomspeaks.com

********

Stacey Marie Hall
New York, NY 10002

Attn: Senator Shirley Huntley
116-43 Sutphin Boulevard
Jamaica, NY 11434

12/3/2009


Dear Senator Huntley,

I write you with both heavy hands and heart in response to your decision to vote “NO” to marriage equality.

As a woman who has attended twelve weddings and one domestic partnership ceremony this past year, I may not hold the title of “wife” to anyone - but I most definitely have an opinion (or
ten) on the topic. In the past 365 days I’ve borne witness to 24 heterosexuals in the glorious act of “I Do” while my homosexual friends could only go so far as adding one another to their Health Care benefits; for that is the closest they could come to marriage. It’s a shame. I’m ashamed; and as a “Democratic” Senator who selfishly stripped Gays of the right to marry within the state of New York, you should be too.

My sexual preference is neither here nor there on this matter, for I strongly believe this
is not about politics but rather about the human heart. I believe Love should not answer to church or state, be black or white, or cater to rich or poor. It is unconditional.

Or,
is this no longer the case?

As we’ve so invasively learned from the economic crisis, there’s apparently a “Bailout Bill” for ignorance, yet the golden parachute for intolerance is seemingly somewhere over the rainbow. Under the auspices of love, I beg the question, why do you care to deny others a right that you so fortunately have been granted? To paraphrase the ingenious words of Keith Olbermann, I must ask … “What is it, to you?”

At a mere 28 years old, I already have a handful of friends whose marriages have unfortunately failed. But at least they had the chance to try. Yes, my “what’s next?” generation has been coined as dangerously precocious, coddled, fawned-over, and apathetic. However, we Millennials are overtly in the “now” and hyper aware of what we’re entitled to. We are socially, ethnically, and sexually diverse. A generation that I can so proudly say was an indelible force behind electing the first black President of the United States of America. Yes, there was a time when I admittedly was afraid for my generation, which will soon step into the landmines of our political future. But after days like yesterday, after I listen, watch, and digest decisions such as yours, I am hopeful and anxious for my peers to progress, govern, and embrace this great nation with a whole heart and an open mind.

Shirley, as our Senate representative of Queens, I question once more, “What’s it to you?”

As it’s now 8am, I plan to press print, mail these 38 letters, and head to work to do my job. In turn, I can only ask that you do the same. As an elected official, I ask that you responsibly and respectfully represent the voices of the 2.3 million people within your borough. I ask that you please do your job. Not because it’s your civic duty, but because you care.

Signed with sincerity,

6 comments:

bella said...

Well put, Stace.

Unknown said...

harmony, stacey. xo

Rob said...

Very blog worthy- great letter!

Katie said...

Wonderfully written! Heartfelt, meaningful and inspirational to those who stand for this same issue. You make me proud, Stace!

Anonymous said...

Stacey. Your mom sent this to my mom who sent it to me. Thanks for doing this. My husband and I are hopeful that progress will come, just slowly. Bravo for being on the right side of history.
-Brett Smiley

Kristen Hutchinson Spytek said...

Beautifully written Stace. I LOVE this post.