Friday, May 22, 2009

My Life In Cliff Notes ...


So I went on a date the other night

(no Mom, I'm still not getting married anytime soon, sorry)
and since I didn't really know the guy all that well
I found myself trying to summarize my life when
he asked me about me
and how I ended up in New York

Hmmmm

I blame the beer(s)
but I believe in under three minutes,
this is what came out of my mouth:

Well, umm, I went to the University of Michigan for school and then moved home to Chicago after graduation. At first I lived with my best friend Cody in the absolute best loft! We each paid like $500 in rent and pitched a tent in the living room for our friends to crash in :) Ha! Why did I just tell you that? Ooo-k, let's see, I worked in Advertising for 5 years and loved it but the hours were absurd. But I worked on the launch of Wrigley's New 5 Gum which was awesome, but we were still working around the clock. So we had a print photo shoot in Stockholm that I covered and decided to take the weekend to visit friends in Amsterdam. It was one of those trips that I knew I shouldn't take, but the last time I'd been to Amsterdam was in college and I was slightly baked the whole time so I didn't really get to do everything I wanted to. I've always wanted to see the tulip farms in April! So anyways, that's neither here nor there ... I went and had a freaking blast! Stayed with one of my best friends, Jessica and she introduced me to this super cool girl, Emily who was there visiting her boyfriend that same weekend. This time around I laid off the brownies and got to see the tulip farms which were incredible :) Long story short, I came home super charged to "do something with my life", I just didn't know what yet. So I quit my job, lived off my savings for 6 months, wrote a whole bunch. Ran outta money so I started looking for jobs in Chicago and New York, because I figured if I didn't move now, then I'd never actually do it. And one night in January I called Emily to say hello and wish her a Happy New Year. She said she was busy planning her wedding, had changed jobs, and was working for a start-up out of San Francisco and Seattle but that they were looking to expand to NYC. I thought the company sounded really neat and promising so I asked her if I could apply for the New York position. Interviewed all that week, somehow got the job, and moved exactly 3 weeks later! So I've been in the Zoo now for a little over a year. Just kinda taking every day as an adventure because I have absolutely not one clue as to what happens next. Ha! Sooo, yep, that's pretty much my life in Cliff Notes. I'll stop talking now.

You could hear crickets ...

Seriously,
who put a quarter in the wind-up doll?!?!?

Needless to say, I need a muzzle and I'm so sorry Mom,
but I'll definitely not be getting married any time soon ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you didn't tell anything about college or schwing! Sooo unfair!