Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thoughts on the East Coast vs the West Coast ...


Let's be real, leaving sunny San Diego was hard enough as it was ... but then you go ahead and pile on a 6 hour flight, a +3 hour time diff, and a -50 degree temperature change!! :(


Ever since the plane landed safely onto the tarmac at JFK airport, I can't help but to notice the polar opposites between the West Coast lifestyle and that of the East.

The moment the doors to the plane opened, it was as if Michael Buffer came on the load speaker and started announcing the Belmont Stakes ...

"Aaaaaaand, they're off! The man in Seat 5A is in the lead. He's just cut off the woman from First Class who took too long getting her luggage from the overhead bin. Loooook out for the old geezer from 24C, she's got a walker and she's ready to use it! Now 5A is back in the lead. Oh, wait a minute! Out of no where ... the security guard has clinched 'em all. He's got it! First man to the baggage claim. Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a 'weiner'!!" ;)

Memories of laid back, olive skin, blond hair, surfer dudes seem to be a dwindling image of a recent past :(

Then it's straight to the train to race to make it on time to my Dodgeball game ...

"Should I take the LIRR or the Subway? Shit! My MetroCard is empty. Hurry, run, the orange F is coming! You can take that one and transfer to the J/M/Z. Board train. Sit down. Shit-fuck-sick! I sat in pee. How do I always fucking manage to sit in piss?!?! (Tell myself it's just Mountain Dew). Move seats. Turn on iPod. Hum along to 'California Stars' by Wilco."

Memories of sitting shot gun, driving along the freeways, staring at the Pacific Ocean seem to be a dwindling image of a recent past :(

Walking home from Dodgeball, I felt torn about my love for two Coasts ... but I've decided that it is only natural to adore them both. After all, I am in fact, a girl from the Midwest :)

No comments: