Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Difference a Year Makes ...

Last year, in honor of Cinco de Mayo, I tried to rent a donkey ... but no such luck :(

This year, in honor of Cinco de Mayo, I tried to weasel my way out of a Market Research conference ... but no such luck :(

So, instead of playing umpteen rounds of flip cup with my friends (while wearing a pancho, sporting a sombrero, and pretending to ride a horse-on-a-stick) I was out mingling for work (sans costume).

After the conference, everyone was game for margaritas so we headed to a local Mexican joint and the next thing ya know, I find myself chattin' it up with this cute little Chinese man.

Our conversations went as such:

Chinese Man: Hi, my name is Sun :) I'm representing the Fangyuan Company.

(Shake hands)

Me:
Hi, I'm Stacey. I'm here with Peanut Labs.

(Exchange business cards)


Me:
I'm sorry, did you say your name was Sun?

Sun: Yes, my real is Manor Zhuang but no American pronounce right. So I go by Sun Wha. My English is very poor. This is my first trip to New York to make business.

Me:
Well I think your English is great! You wouldn't want to hear my attempt at Chinese ;) Where are you staying?

Sun: The Chinese Consulate.

Me: Oh. Can't say I've ever been there.

Sun: Can you please tell me, what is this sour drink we drink?

Me: It's called a margarita.

Sun: Neat. This make me feel happiness. Can you please tell me more of your Western Culture?

Me: Absolutely! What would you like to know about?

Sun: Can you please first tell me, does it hurt to have metal stick in your nose?

Me: Oh, my nose pierce? Nope, doesn't hurt a bit!

Sun: And your husband, he does not mind it?

Me: Can't say I have a husband. But if I did, I would hope he would like it.

Sun: Why you no husband?

Me: Hmmmmm ... how long are you in town for? That may take a while to answer ;)

Sun: So, you no children then?

Me: Nope.

Sun: So you are not Morman?

Me: No, not Morman ... not Morman at all. I like to drink the sour drink ;)

Sun: You clever funny! I do not get all your joke. But you make me happiness :)

These classic exchanges went on all night ...

... I have no clue what Sun is doing in this picture but it continues to crack me up!

After a few more sour drinks, Sun decided to "hang loose" and take off his suit coat and tie!

(In regards to "pre-picture rituals", I often times wonder why the Peace Sign is to the Chinese like "Say Cheeeese!" is to Americans ... but I suppose that's a topic for a whole separate blog)

So, long story short ... I am meeting my new friend Sun tomorrow at the Chinese Consulate to talk about the capabilities of our two companies.

I thought maybe we could meet again at the Mexican joint to talk shop over another margarita (or ten) ... but no such luck ;)

No comments: