Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Thoughts on Fate & Destiny


Last year I wrote a book called "Fight the Crazy"

and this year I sent it to a handful of publishers.
 
I've always known it would be a long-shot ...bookshelves all over the world are flooded with this genre:
"He's Just Not That into You"
"It's Called a Break-Up 'Cause it's Broken"
and most recently, "I'M FINE! Getting Over Your Ex in 100 Days"
 
I know I should be bummed about my first rejection letter
... but I'm really not.
  
I guess it's because I genuinely do believe
that everything happens for
a reason
and I adamantly believe in Karma.

So, I just have to rest assured
that when one door closes another will open.

(
And if a door doesn’t open, I’ll just have to crack a window!)
  

So it’s not rejection that is keeping me up tonight...
Tonight I lay awake debating my personal opinions of
fate and destiny
and the whole idea of “everything happening for a reason”.
  
See, "fate" is funny to me because people
only seem to believe in it when something goes their way….
  
“We met in line at the dry cleaners…it was fate!”
“He accidentally grabbed my Sugar Free Peppermint Spice Latte instead of his Venti Americano…I’m certain it was fate!”
“It was the last wedding dress on the rack
and was a perfect fit … fate!”

You don’t hear many people saying…
“We had crazy wild sex and he never called again …
Give it up for fate!”
“He never truly loved me the way I loved him …
Hal-le-lu-jah fate!”
“Turns out he was a lying sack of shit …
Can I get a “fuck yeah!” for fate?!?”

And then there’s "destiny",
the higher power that we seem to have a say in...
Although the words are used interchangeably,
I believe they differ in that:
we control our own destiny
yet fate is something that happens to us.
Driving our destiny is what we women do best...
Take the Magic 8 ball for example:
I’ve yet to see a girl ask the 8 ball a question
and not shake the damn thing silly until she gets,
And then afterwards, happily shouting to her friends,
“See - it’s fate!”
(Clearly)

But I do believe that everything happens for a reason
and I adamantly believe in Karma.
I don’t believe in (or even like) silo’s
but I do believe that life is “to each their own.”
I’m just still on the fence with my firm beliefs in
my two friends, fate & destiny.

So goes another night in which I’ve reached no resolutions
nor conclusions to my sleep-procrastinating questions...
Like all aspects of my life, I’m still just trying to figure it out!

And so for now, that answer will simply have to do :)  
   

No comments: